Sunday 29 June 2014

I don't know much about Jazz but I like ......................Cassandra Wilson

My first Cassandra Wilson CD was New Moon Daughter and that was about 18 years ago!!!  While I had other Jazz CDs and records (Django, Billie and Ella mainly) this was really the start of my foray into appreciating Jazz.

I bought it as it was playing in a small CD store in Pasadena and I liked her interpretation of Billie Holiday's Strange Fruit.  A husky voiced jazz singer and a great ability to select and arrange well known songs in a new way bringing new emotional depth to songs not necessarily associated with Jazz.  Other outstanding tracks on that album include Neil Young's Harvest Moon and Son House's Death Letter.

Since then I have picked up albums by her pretty regularly and now have a nice collection of some of the best jazz vocals of the last 20 years.


I immediately bought Blue Light til Dawn the album immediately before New Moon Daughter and was again impressed by the song selection with great versions of songs by Robert Johnson (whom she seems to have a special connection with) and Van Morrison - a sublime version of Tupelo Honey, and one of my favourite soul songs,  I Can't Stand The Rain.

Another favourite album is Belly of The Sun, with a mix of originals and classics like Wichita Lineman, You Gotta Move and The Weight.

Other albums she has explored Miles Davis music, what has become known as the Great American Songbook and even Country.  An artist not afraid to steer her own path.

A big regret is I have missed all her New Zealand shows as I have been either in the wrong city on business or living elsewhere.

One day I'll get there ...........

No comments:

Post a Comment