Thursday 19 June 2014

Recent Additions : Robert Ellis : The Lights from the Chemical Plant

The Lights From The Chemical Factory got solid reviews in a few places so I decided to give it a go. The title enough is enough to interest me with its sense of eerie foreboding.  It arrived this week as an impressive double 12" 45 RPM vinyl - in a gatefold cover with a nice large booklet with lyrics and other information.  I especially like the large booklet as it means I can and do read  it.  Like the old days.  The 45RPM means the sound quality is another step up. All good but what is the music like?

I am pleased to say that after having given it the once through the music is as impressive as its packaging.

Starting with TV Song , through to other highlights including Bottle of Wine, Houston and Only Lies.  There is even a nice cover of Paul Simon's Still Crazy After All These Years.

Some people have called this country, I think based on the fact he is based in Nashville, but I think Ellis has much more in common with the better 1970s singer songwriters.

Another artist, who along with the likes of Jason Isbell, Josh Ritter and  Laura Marling - make a clear case for musicians of today making music every bit as potent as those of 40 years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment