Saturday 28 June 2014

Favourites : Peter Case : Peter Case and The Man With The Blue Post Modern Fragmented Neo-Traditionalist Guitar

As I have mentioned earlier I picked up Peter Case's debut solo album  because it was produced by T Bone Burnett. The fact that it had a version of The Pogues "Pair of Brown Eyes" helped as well.  I bought the second (with the long name) because I enjoyed the first one because I enjoyed the first one, it was produced by T Bone Burnett and it had some Los Lobos players on it.

At the time I did not know anything about Peter Case.  Did not know that he had been in semi legendary US powerpop bands The Nerves and The Plimsouls.  Did not know that at the time of his first album he was married to Victoria Williams (whom years later Jan, Chris and I saw put on a shabby show at the Kings Arms Tavern).

Over the years I have picked up a few other CDs by Peter Case and also excellent collections by The Plimsouls and The Nerves.  However it is these two albums that I find the most satisfying.  They are excellent collections of what at the time was called roots rock and is now called Americana.

Songs like Two Angels, Walk in the Woods, Entella Hotel,Poor Old Tom, hold the two albums together well and set the scene for an interesting but probably not very profitable career.  

No comments:

Post a Comment