Friday 6 June 2014

New Zealand Favourites : The Eastern : Hope and Wire

Sam saw Lyttleton band/duo The Eastern open for someone in Christchurch and thought I would like them so he bought their self titled CD at the show for me.  Thoughtful Lad.  I played it a few times and to be honest it did not really grab me.  Solid but not great.  Sounding a bit too much like latter day Steve Earle (which ain't no bad thing) and not quite individual enough.

We were in Christchurch between quakes and I was in Radar Records in Cashell St and the guys recommended that I pick up a copy of Little Band o' Golds' current CD and see if I could catch them that night as they were in town.  So I bought the CD and three tickets and Sam, Jan and I found ourselves later that night in a (now long gone) old warehouse listening to The Eastern open for the Little Band o' Gold. They played a great set in what was one of the best nights of music I have had.

A few years later I read a few reviews of their then latest release, a double CD Hope and Wire - I think it was this one  or maybe this one and I thought it would be worth checking them out again.  So we were in Singapore and buying their CD at HMV was not an option - so I asked Sam to pick me up a copy.

Never regretted it.

This is a great album by any measure.  It would happily rate alongside the best of the rootsier Springsteen, Steve Earle and even some Pogues. Too often we apologise for New Zealand music (sometimes we have to!) but this is world class stuff.


The cover with its Waterfront strike gives and indication of what you are in for.  To me the album is also infused with the impact of the Christchurch Earthquake.  The songwriting which is shared but dominated by Adam McGrath is heartfelt, folk based and  occasionally pointed and political.   Whether it is the mournful strains of North Wind or State Houses By the River, the jauntiness of turn it round, Set a Signal or Four on Floor. This is an album that deserves an audience beyond NZ.




No comments:

Post a Comment