Thursday 26 February 2015

Favourites : Lowell George ; Thanks I'll Eat it Here

Thanks I'll Eat it Here was a hugely anticipated album when it was released.  More than a year in the making and Little Feat fans were anxious that their hero would do good.  When it was eventually released it was greeted with a fair degree of disappointment.

I was not a big Little Feat fan at the time - that came much later (a late bloomer so to speak) and in fact this was the Lowell George/Little Feat album I picked up a cassette in a sale for 50c or so.  Maybe for that reason it is to this day that I now  the album as often as I would Dixie Chicken and Waiting For Columbus - my two favourite Feat albums.

More polished and perhaps just a little less funky than the band albums - I think there are 6 standout songs.  Perhaps most dissappinting is that there is only one classic new Lowell George written song - the startling 20 Million Things .

Side one is a killer - What Do You Want the Girl to Do, Honest Man, a cover of his own Two Trains and the a superb version of Ann Peebles' Can't Stand The Rain.  Side Two really only reaches the same heights on the aforementioned 20 Million Things and Rickie Lee Jones' Easy Money (here in a contemporary live setting).

But that artwork on the cover.......... it's appalling and enough to put anyone off.

No comments:

Post a Comment