Sunday 15 February 2015

Recent Additions : Hozier : Hozier

I bought Hozier without listening to any songs (I do that occasionally) partly because I liked the cover and partly because it made so many best of 2014 lists and was apparently soul (which I love).   I also found a copy online that was reasonably priced after shipping.

It took a while for it to arrive and by the time it did Hozier was everywhere.  A friend in Sydney has told me that Hozier is inescapable.

I have now listened to it a few times and yesterday Jan and I listened to it again driving from Suva to Nadi.  While there are some good songs that immediately stake their place as potential hits, there is a sameness that makes getting through the whole album hard work.


That is not to say that I do not like the album or rate the guy.  He has a great voice and there are some very good songs like Jackie and Wilson, Someone New and In a Week.  On the latter I thought he sounded a bit like Robert Plant (around Houses of Holy) so felt a little vindicated with that assessment when a friend posted this great cover of Zep's Whole Lotta Love on Facebook.  From that clip I explored a number of acoustic sessions and it was there he really impressed.

I think he will get better and better as long as he follows his muse and does not get too distracted by his current success.


No comments:

Post a Comment