Saturday 14 February 2015

Junk Shop and Sale Bin Finds 22 : Frank Sinatra : Only The Lonely

In the last 3 or four years I have been slowly acquiring a few Sinatra records.  All of them second hand, all but one in great condition and most original pressings more than 50 years old.  Prior to this wave of purchases I had had a best of CD for years that never really got played.  Something did not click.  

But I find myself playing Sinatra, late at night and early in the morning more and more often. What the albums I have now have that the greatest hits did not have is a flow and thematic consistency.  It is therefore not surprising to me that Frank's In The Wee Small Hours is considered the first really consistently themed album.

I bought Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely a month or so ago for about $5.  A UK pressing. Great Condition   Another great morose themed album (I kind of think of In the Wee Small Hours, Where are you? and this as a triptych of  despair).  The highlight for me is his great reading of Blues in The Night

No comments:

Post a Comment