Monday 9 February 2015

It was a great show 2 : Tom Waits 1981 Wellington Town Hall

This show was the day after my 21st (and for those that remember those yard glass drinking days two days after the party which was held on Dad's 55th birthday).

I was enthralled with Waits at the time (as I still am) but I was pretty much alone in that amongst my friends.  So I cajoled my friend Peter Zwart to come along with me.  I really do not think he knew what he was in for.  He had been made to listen to The Piano Has Been Drinking at late night pool playing sessions (when the pool players had been drinking) but I am pretty sure he had no real interest in coming along.  But that's what mates do right. Of course now that Waits is a legend whose shows are now few and far between and sell out worldwide in minutes - Peter can actually say that he saw one. There are probably plenty of people who claim they have seem him and never have.




He had a few props on the stage - a street lamp an sign and came slinking out on stage to (I think) either Mr Siegal or Heart Attack and Vine and then went through a great selection of songs from all his albums to that point.  There were of course great stories and repartee - and one particularly obnoxious heckler was put in his place when Waits directed the spot light to him and said calmly "Everyone,,,,,,,, That's what you get when cousins marry"

I had a clear memory of him playing a couple of tracks (I distinctly remember Broken Bicycles) from the yet to be released soundtrack "One from the Heart"  so was pleased when I found a track list from the concert he did the previous night in Christchurch (below) and there it was.

Some where in the lockup I still have the program for the night.

disc one:
01 step right up
02 intro
03 $29
04 jitterbug boy
05 annie's back in town
06 i wish i was in new orleans / when the saints
07 heartattack & vine
08 the piano has been drinking
09 new coat of paint
10 christmas card from a hooker in minneapolis
11 romeo is bleeding
12 intro
13 broken bicycles
14 the tango
15 i beg your pardon
disc two:
01 red shoes
02 bad liver & a broken heart
03 the one that got away
04 shiver me timbers
05 mr. siegal
06 the heart of saturday night
07 jersey girl
08 pasties & a g-string
09 muriel
10 band intro
11 small change
12 tom traubert's blues

No comments:

Post a Comment