Monday 23 February 2015

Junk Shop and Sale Bin Finds 24 : Jimmie Rogers : Train Whistle Blow

Train Whistle Blow is a great collection of Jimmie Rogers songs.  I reckon all (good) country music can be traced back to the twin parents of Jimmie Rogers and The Carter Family.  Jimmie was only around for a few years but in that time he lay the blueprint for many to come and was an inspiration to Johnny Cash and Hank Williams amongst others.

For $5 this is a great introduction to his music (of which I had only heard snippets on music documentaries and also a few clips on You Tube - including this great clip of Waiting For A Train -  a song I have at least half a dozen different versions of.



While Rodgers can be credited/blamed for popularising the yodel into country music, what stands out the most to me is that Rodgers really bridges the gap between blues and country better than anyone else.  I am pleased I have this album and know I will play it many more times - and it will probably be the catalyst for me  to try and find an album with more of his hits.  Notably Blue Yodel No 1, Frankie and Johnny and In The Jailhouse Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment