Wednesday 4 February 2015

Favourites : Willard Grant Conspiracy : There but for the Grace of God

Most of the greatest hits albums I have and really enjoy are from artists making music before the LP became an Album around the mid 60s and artists were known for for single songs than collective works.  I predict that with the iTunes and digital age we will start to see (and are probably already seeing) a return to those days as most music buying public are now picking singles songs up off spotify etc rather than pay attention to whole albums.  I believe the Artists are aiding and abetting this by generally releasing overlong albums with too much filler simply because a CD can hold 75 minutes of music.

As I have mentioned earlier I have a few albums by the Willard Grant Conspiracy but to be honest with most of them I find myself focusing on one or two exceptional songs.  In their case I do not think that it is because the other songs are bad - but just that their good songs are so fucking good.  It was generally those songs that found their way onto all the Americana compilations and that the band brought together onto the exceptional collection There But For The Grace of God.

Like all the great best of albums it seems to flow right and introduces a few songs that I missed.  Rainbirds, Right on Time, Evening Mass, Christmas in Nevada, Work Song and Dig a Hole stand out for me but the album as a hole flows nicely and when I do dig it out I tend to play it two or three times in a row.  I would love to have it on vinyl (partly because the cover is so good) but I do not think that will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment