Friday 9 May 2014

I don't know much about Jazz but I do like ...... Nathan Haines' Vermillion Sky

Its been 23 years since we left Nelson after living there for seven years.  The whole time we lived there we lived in the middle of town and I walked to work.  Most days, as part of my wind down therapy I would stop in at the The Everyman record store on the way home.  Got to know the owners Dave, Wyness and Christine pretty well and even contemplated buying Dave and Wyness's share when they gave it up to travel. Sometimes I still wish I had.  

It is pleasing that it is still there and so every time I go back to Nelson it is always on the agenda.  It helps that it's opposite Kay, my sister in law's award winning cafe - The Morrison Street Cafe so it is easy to create an excuse to pop in and lose an hour or so.  Last time I was there just under a year ago I bought a few records including some Dinosaur Jr, Gene Clarke and Love.  

However there was some nice Jazz playing in the shop and asking what it is was was shown the new release, Vermillion Sky, from Kiwi sax player Nathan Haines.  I particularly like the instrumentals - good tasteful stuff.  He is based in the UK and apparently this record made NZ's top ten last year when it was released - pretty unusual for a NZ Jazz musician.




No comments:

Post a Comment