Thursday 8 May 2014

Unsung Heroes 7 : Jon Dee Graham

As I outlined here - sometime in 1998 I stopped in Timaru and bought four CDs that sent me on a new journey of discovery.  Unbeknownst to me when I bought the albums - two of those artists Jon Dee Graham and Alejandro Escovedo had a common heritage in an Austin Band in the early 80s and Alejandro had played guitar on an album that I had already owned for some 15 years.  I still regularly play both the original CDs I bought.  In fact I am listening to this one now.

This album opens with the incredible $100 Bill.  The sense of pride in being a father shines through "I think I will never see  brighter lights than that"   There isn't really a misstep on the album - gentle country-ish tunes, with subtle but forceful guitar and (sorry for the cliche) Tom Waits style vocal. Sadly I also regularly see this CD in sale binds and over the years have bought about 5-6 copies and given them away to introduce this music to people I know will appreciate it. When I do this (as I do with other albums) I always say if you don't like it - I will have it back and find some one who does.  NEVER HAPPENED 
I have since bought many more cds by Jon Dee and loosely follow him via Facebook.    And it's interesting that that Boy on the bus in the first song is now in his own band.  That's time passing I suppose..  
I have overtime built up a bit of a collection of his music and can also recommend Hooray for the Moon, Full and This one by his part time band. 

One day I am sure I will get to Austin and see him play - and maybe have a beer with him



No comments:

Post a Comment