Friday 9 May 2014

Unsung heroes 8 : Warren Zevon

Warren Zevon is an unsung hero whose name is known by many.  Best known to most people for the hit Werewolves of London, his career lasted much longer and he released albums right up to his death in 2003.   To me he is one of the greatest songwriters of the last 50 years. I will admit that none of his albums are what I would call classics, however only one is really sub par (the concept album Transverse City) and all contain at least one and frequently 3 or 4 songs that I think deserve to be recognised as classics.  

His writing to me falls into two incongruous camps.  First there are the brutally honest and tender love songs, then the dark humour songs which cover the range from the sadistic killer of Excitable Boy, the Eagles pastiche of Gorilla, You're a Desperado, the clutch of songs that seemed to predict and celebrate his struggle with cancer and premature death (My Ride 's Here, I have to Leave, My Shit's Fucked Up, Keep me in your heart) to the ghost of a mercenary stalking the jungles in Africa.  

I am also not sure whether one of the reasons I like him so much is that in some photos he looks just like Chris.

He was David Letterman's favourite songwriter (occasionally stepping in to the host role) and one whole show was dedicated to Warren shortly before his death. In typical Zevon humour when Letterman asked for any advice to those suffering similar circumstances Zevon offered the sage advice "enjoy every sandwich".   I strongly suggest you go to YouTube and search on Zevon and Letterman. 

I was lucky enough to see him live at The Gluepot in the 90s - a track from that show appeared on his live collection Learning to Flinch.   

Some of his lyrics just blow me away every time


"And when California slides into the Ocean
Like the Mystics and Statistics say it will
I predict this motel will be standing
Until I pay my bill"

"I can saw a women in two but you want to look in the box when I do
I can make love disappear for my next trick I'll need a volunteer"

"Send lawyers guns and money - the shit has hit the fan"

"Grandpa's pissed his pants again but he don't give a damn
Brother Billy's got both guns drawn he ain't been right since Vietnam
Sweet Home Alabama - play that dead band's song
Turn those speakers up full blast - Play it all night long"


and his last song - Keep me in your heart - I am always staggered by his ability to write this only weeks / months before he died


Shadows are falling and I'm running out of breath
Keep me in your heart for awhile

If I leave you it doesn't mean I love you any less
Keep me in your heart for awhile

When you get up in the morning and you see that crazy sun
Keep me in your heart for awhile

There's a train leaving nightly called when all is said and done
Keep me in your heart for awhile

Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-li-li-lo
Keep me in your heart for awhile

Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-li-li-lo
Keep me in your heart for awhile

Sometimes when you're doing simple things
around the house
Maybe you'll think of me and smile

You know I'm tied to you like the buttons on
your blouse
Keep me in your heart for awhile

Hold me in your thoughts, take me to your dreams
Touch me as I fall into view
When the winter comes keep the fires lit
And I will be right next to you

Engine driver's headed north to Pleasant Stream
Keep me in your heart for awhile

These wheels keep turning but they're running out
of steam
Keep me in your heart for awhile



So many great songs by the man but I suggest you check out and the compilation below is a good one - even if it does miss his last 3 albums; 

Carmelita
Desperadoes under the eaves
Searching for a heart
My ride's here
Keep me I your heart 
Desperados under the eaves
Lawyers, Guns and money
Mr Bad Example
McGillicuddy's Reeks 
Things to do in Denver when you're dead 
My shit's fucked up
Don't let us get sick
I have to Leave 
Reconsider Me
The Heartache 
I'll slow you down 



No comments:

Post a Comment