Monday 26 May 2014

I don't know much about Jazz but I like .................... Billie Holiday's Lady Sings The Blues


I first heard Billie Holiday and Lady Sings The Blues on a late night exploration of Maggie Barry's record collection in early 1982 when she was a DJ at the Radio Lakeland in Taupo.  It was an interesting and eclectic mix and I recall listening to a whole side of Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music as well as The Clash.

Recorded towards the end of her career and released simultaneously with her autobiography of the same name - a heart wrenchingly honest account of her life that really gives a good appreciation of what is behind that voice.

Unlike the purity of Ella's voice Billie's voice portrays desperation, frustration and anger in almost every breath. Whether directed at her life (god bless the child),  men (I must have that man), racism (Strange Fruit) or drugs did not seem to matter - you always get what Billie is dealing with in her mind.

Over the years I have picked a few cheap best of lps and cds but last year bought this and Lady in Satin.  Both are magnificent.   

No comments:

Post a Comment