Friday 16 May 2014

Recent Additions 13 : The War on Drugs : Lost in the Dream

I have a few friends that say that current musicians and bands do not stand up to those megaliths of 60s and 70s.  I think that is bullshit - the difference in marketing and the overall music industry means that while I agree that bands will never be as BIG as they were in the golden days of the 70s it does not mean the bands themselves will not be as good.  In fact with the internet the problem seems to be more bands, more quality players, less money and less time invested by listeners.  Case in Point. The War on Drugs.

I expect that this album will, deservedly, end up on the top of many Best of 2014 lists at year end.  This is their third album and in my opinion easily their best.  I keep playing it.

The War on Drugs hail from Philidelphia and Kurt Vile (whom I wrote about here) was in the band when they released their first album Wagonwheel Blues in 2008.  A CD I imported on the basis of a paragraph review in Uncut.  Never regretted it.

Not unlike Kurt Vile's music in that it does have a dreamy quality but there are more songs on the album.  Certainly sounds at times like Adam Granduciel may have his only personal battle with drugs going on.

There is a Waterboys feel to some of the songs - particularly the terrific In Reverse and the lead off song Under the Pressure.

For those who think that good rock music is not being made anymore - I strongly recommend this.

No comments:

Post a Comment