Sunday 6 July 2014

A Favourite Song - We Had it All

Some songs resonate with me more than others for whatever reason and deserve blogs of their own.  We Had it All - written by Troy Seals and Donnie Fritts, two song writers who often contributed to the Muscle Shoals sound, is one of my favourites.  Whose ever version of it I play I end up putting it on again and frequently again.  Its simplicity is its greatest strength and attraction.

I first heard it when I picked up a CD of Waylon Jennings' Honky Tonk Heroes which I wrote about here. The only song on that album not written by Billy Joe Shaver it still managed to captivate me as it clearly did others as it has been covered so many times.    

Some of my favourite versions are of course Waylon's, Willie's and Keith's or Sloppy Rolling Stones' live versions on Youtube and Green On Reds'.   However Dobie Gray's version off his terrific Drift Away album remains my favourite version.

No comments:

Post a Comment