Monday 28 July 2014

Damn Right I've Got the Blues : Muddy Waters - Hard Again

In my last year of high school this was THE blues album to have.  It managed to be both a blues record and something that could be played at white middle class school parties in NZ.  Not as easy then as it would be now.  Muddy teamed up with Johnny Winter and produced probably the best album of both of their careers.

From the raucus opening of Mannish Boy - a great reworking of the Bo Diddley song.  The album is then filled with energetic reworkings of Muddy Classics and a few new songs.  Other picks would include I want to be loved, I Can't Be Satisfied and The Blues Had a Baby and They Named it Rock and Roll 

This was the first blues album I owned - its still in great condition as I rescued it recently from storage in Christchurch - and while the cover has some mildew marks on it the vinyl plays like new.

Magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment