Sunday 27 July 2014

Journey Through the Past 36 : The Saints : All Fools Day

Bruce Springsteen sang a relatively obscure Australian song during his second concert in Auckland this February. He had recorded it on his latest album but it was still a little surprising to hear it again after about 20 years.  It was a song called Just Like Fire Would originally by Australian Band The Saints. I

The song first appeared on their 1986 album All Fools Day and I will be the first to say that I prefer the original version.  I had heard a few Saints songs before then - after all along with Nick Cave's The Birthday Party they represented what was apparently the best of the Australian Punk Rock Movement.  However by the time of this album they were really just a bloody good rock band with good songs.

Other songs on this album to check out include See You in Paradise and  the title track (even if they do sound a bit too much like Jagger!).



1 comment:

  1. Doing a Drive By Truckers retrospective this Eid weekend, and the luyics that have leapt out are quite apte:

    "Another Joker in the White House, said a change was comin' round
    But I'm still workin' at The Wal Mart and Mary Alice, in the ground
    And all them politicians, they all lyin' sacks of shit
    They say better days upon us but I'm sucking left hind tit
    And the preacher on the TV says it ain't too late for me
    But I bet he drives a Cadillac and I'm broke with some hungry mouths to feed"

    ReplyDelete