Wednesday 23 July 2014

Song of the Day 8 : Gimme Back my Dog - Slobberbone

I love good simple songs and on the face of it Gimme Back My Dog is maybe too simple for its own good.  The line Gimme Back My Dog is repeated more than 30 times throughout the song each time seemingly a little more angry and a little more frustrated.

The singer has not only lost his girlfriend but his trusty dog who has also traded his affections and trotted off happily with the ex.  You really have the feeling that the singer feels he has nothing left!

Just read the lyrics and say you don't feel for the guy!

I am not the only one to rate the song - the author Stephen King rates it as one of the three greatest rock and roll songs of all time!



Gimme back my dog (x8)


It was mine before I met you

It was mine before I'd let you

Come closer and hold it and know it
The way you once knew me



And it was mine before you knew me

It was mine before you'd choose me

And use me and lose me, refuse me
The way you're now refusing to



Gimme back my dog (x8)



It was mine before I'd see you

It was mine before I believed you

When you said 'I need you'
It seems that you were just throwin' me a bone



And it was mine before you found me

It was mine before you'd hound me

And bound me, then ground me, and pound me
Like a stray dog with no way home
Oh, just like a dirty stray dog with no way home



So come on girl, you gotta give me some credit

It was mine before you'd go get it

And pet it, and let it run
When you threw the damn thing its ball



And it was mine before you lost me

It was mine before you'd try me

Lie to me, and try to deny me
That you ever loved me at all
Yeah so



Gimme back my dog (x12)



Gimme back my dog (x4 fainter)



No comments:

Post a Comment