Friday 18 July 2014

Damn Right I've Got The Blues : RIP Johnny Winter

I first came across Johnny Winter listening to Muddy Waters' Hard Again in my last year of High School. Johnny's production and guitar work combined to give Muddy's career a late lift and introduce many to the Blues.  

I did not pick up any Johnny Winter solo albums until years later when I picked up The Deluxe Version of Second Winter. What a great find that was not only the original 3 sided album but also a blistering live set including supposedly of brother Edgar's Frankenstein and a great version of Tobacco Road.  Second Winter includes a superb version of  Highway 61 Revisited, a Little Richard cover and a great collection of originals.  Johnny is on fire throughout playing what he termed power blues.

Johnny apparently partied hard with the best of them and lead a pretty troubled life.  Sad that he has gone but as always with musicians they are only as far away as their records.

No comments:

Post a Comment