Saturday 26 July 2014

Song of the day 9 : Bob Dylan : If You See Her Say Hello

If You See Her Say Hello has been a favourite since the day I first heard it.  A beautiful song of sad regret and yet resignation.

Many people thought it was directly related to Dylan's then failing marriage to Sarah at the time.  He of course denies it.

I have three different versions of it with three slightly different lyrics. However it is the final album version that I still prefer.

As always with Dylan he can just hit the spot with a few well chosen words like;


 I hear her name here and there

As I go from town to town

And I've never gotten used to it

I've just learned to turn it off
Either I'm too sensitive
Or else I'm getting soft


But here are the full lyrics...


If you see her, say hello

She might be in Tangier
She left here last early spring
Is living there I hear

Say for me that I'm all right

Though things get kind of slow
She might think that I've forgotten her
Don't tell her it isn't so

We had a falling-out

Like lovers often will
And to think of how she left that night
It still brings me a chill

And though our separation

It pierced me to the heart
She still lives inside of me
We've never been apart

If you get close to her

Kiss her once for me
I always have respected her
For doing what she did and getting free

Oh, whatever makes her happy

I won't stand in the way
Oh, the bitter taste still lingers on
From the night I tried to make her stay

I see a lot of people

As I make the rounds
And I hear her name here and there
As I go from town to town

And I've never gotten used to it

I've just learned to turn it off
Either I'm too sensitive
Or else I'm getting soft

Sundown yellow moon

I replay the past
I know every scene by heart
They all went by so fast

If she's passing back this way

I'm not that hard to find
Tell her she can look me up
If she's got the time

Songwriters

Bob Dylan


Read more: Bob Dylan - If You See Her, Say Hello Lyrics | MetroLyrics 

No comments:

Post a Comment