Thursday 31 July 2014

Favourites : J Mascis - Several Shades of Why

I was a very late comer to Dinosaur Jr and the beauty of J Mascis's guitar playing.  I also arrived there through the back door by buying this album first.  I read several good reviews of Several Shades of Why, comparing Mascis to Neil Young and others and when I saw the LP cheap on line I thought I would give it a go.

Very Glad I did.

This is a stunner of an album, a lo-fi acoustic beauty. Listening to it now as I write this I am yet to find a bad track.  The first three tracks are a great introduction title track, Not Enough and Listen to Me.  An added bonus is that as with Dinosaur Jr albums you get the added bonus of great album cover artwork.

From this I started buying and listening to Dinasaur Jr.  I have some Pearl Jam but it left me cold.  I first bought Farm and I Bet on Sky, two great albums they have released since recently reforming and then I have been lucky enough to find Bug and Where You Been second hand.  I really missed the whole grunge thing as I was busy with a young family  and had only explored the poppier elements of Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins and listening to them now nothing much grabs me.

However I love Dinosaur Jr.  More Blogs on them to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment