Friday 18 July 2014

Journey Through The Past 32 - Ann Peebles

I first became aware of Ann Peebles when I heard I Can't Stand the Rain in 1974 when it was a hit in NZ. At that stage I was very anti disco and so while I liked it I could never really admit it!!!    

Then in 1978 Graham Parker was unashamedly recognising his soul and r'n'b roots covering Chain of Fools, Hold Back the Night and Ann Peebles I'm Going to Tear Your Playhouse Down - Here is Graham's and here is Ann's version

All the songs were recorded at Hi Studios in Memphis by the great Willie Mitchell and while the collection is not as strong as what Willie achieved with Al Green there are some great songs on this collection including Part Time Love, (You Keep me) Hanging On and a real favourite Slipped, Tripped and Fell in Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment