Friday 23 October 2015

Favourites : Anders Osborne - Living Room

I first came upon Andres Osborne about 5 years ago when a purchase I made on Amazon triggered a recommendation to buy his latest CD at the time, Black Eyed Galaxy.  I did and did not regret it.  I now  have 9 cds and one lp by the man.  All of them are very good.  Some are great.......

......... And Living Room is my favourite.  By a Long Way.  I find it hard to even pick a few songs off it to suggest to listen to as that will mean that I am not pointing you to others. The others are all good, in fact many artists would be pleased to have any of them as the best album in their catalogue.  But Living Room is special.

It was originally released in 1999 and I feel robbed of about 12 year's of listening.  I think that if this album had been released in the 70's it and he would have been talked about now in the same league as Lowell George and Little Feat.

He kind of is any way but in rather smaller circles than used to happen.

Anders was born in Sweden and emigrated to the US when he was 16 and is now settled in New Orleans and has clearly absorbed the sounds and soul of that city.  That is never more obvious than on this album - this is his Dixie Chicken.

So here is a selection of songs from this album.  Greasy MoneyYa Ya, Trippin' In MontanaNever is a Real Long Time, Takes Two, HighwayThat's All. 

Last year when Jan and I had our musical odyssey around the US Jan's most wanted to see musician was Jason Isbell and mine was Anders.  They were playing one night apart in Colorado about 500km apart and we had to choose - so we spent time in the Vail Valley listening to Jason - not a bad choice.  I am not complaining - it just means I am yet to see Mr Osborne.  I will.




No comments:

Post a Comment