Wednesday 28 October 2015

I do not know much about Jazz but I like ....... Lee Morgan - Search for The New Land

I really like Lee Morgan's Sidewinder album which I Chris put me onto and which appears on almost all lists of best Jazz albums.  Doing my normal research on artists and albums I like I came across many articles that said that Search For The New Land offered something a bit different.

When I read that Grant Green, Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter all played on it I decided I needed to buy it.

There was a problem though.  It did not seem to be in print and older copies were going for big money.

So I started to keep an eye out for it and recently I saw on line that it had been re-released and a record store in New Zealand had it in stock for close to $40.    Doing a bit more on line searching I managed to find a copy for about 2/3 of that.

The album has a different feel (if I was a real Jazz aficionado I suppose I would say different vibe) to Sidewinder.  More introspective and less poppy (if you can say that about Jazz) than Sidewinder.

Nevertheless on the three plays I have given it so far I know I am going to enjoy this album and play it often.  The title track is an excellent way to start the album, sometimes  it starts with a slightly tentative motif but does get going about midway through its quarter of an hour.  It starts with Hancock leading things which leads into Lee's solos and at about the 10 minute mark some very restrained but very typical Grant Green guitar work comes in.

Other tracks that have made an impression on me are Melancholee and The Joker

No comments:

Post a Comment