Monday 5 October 2015

Favourites : David Bowie, Earthling

I remember talking to someone after the last Bowie Concert in Wellington (Didn't it rain!) and they complained that he had not played many hits.   To me at the time I thought it was an impressive set, demonstrating Bowie's willingness to explore and play with his back catalogue, while also stretching the listeners' worlds if they had not listened for to him for 10-15 years.

I was more than happy because the band played a great versions of The Man Who Sold The World (he's playing Nirvana someone was overheard as saying) and one of my favourite Bowie songs I'm Afraid of Americans from Earthling.  I recently upgraded my copy of Earthling from a CD I bought in Brunei to a nice new vinyl copy.


Here is the setlist that night



1. Rebel Rebel

2. New Killer Star
3. Reality
4. Fame
5. Cactus
6. Afraid
7. All the Young Dudes
8. China Girl
9. Slip Away
10. Space Oddity (Teaser)
11. Starman
12. A New Career in a New Town
13. The Loneliest Guy
14. The Man Who Sold the World
15. Hallo Spaceboy
16. Sunday
17. Under Pressure
18. Life on Mars?
19. Be My Wife
20. Days
21. Hang on to Yourself
22. Changes
23. Ashes to Ashes
24. White Light/White Heat
25. I'm Afraid of Americans
26. "Heroes"

Encore

27. Five Years

28. Suffragette City
29. Ziggy Stardust


At that time his last two albums were being heralded as a bit of return to form (thanks Tony Visconti). I like those two albums a lot but I think that calling them a return to form just really means that some people weren't listening and while I still find Outside rather impenetrable I really enjoy both hours (and I make no apology for that) and particularly earthling

No comments:

Post a Comment