Monday 26 October 2015

Journey Through The Past : Girls - Record 3, Father Son Holy Ghost

I bought this record because I was going to an offshoot of The Laneway Festival in Singapore.
I knew one or two of the bands' names on the roster but little of the music.  The only artists I already had in my collection were Laura Marling and the Horrors.

So I bought a bunch of CDs to do some research.  Father Son Holy Ghost was one of them and I am pleased I did as it is pretty solid collection.

Girls was in their finals stages as shortly after lead singer and songwriter, Christopher Owens was off on a solo career (apparently his latest is worth checking out). However they put on a pretty good show.  Owens has a good voice and is a good front man - singing an acappela tribute to Whitney Houston that was better than the lady herself (which in my opinion is not hard).

While not a classic album it has four tracks that I think are pretty bloody good and that these days is a pretty high hit rate.  A few of the tracks also show off some fine guitar work  - the standout track for me is the Penultimate track - Love Like A River - I think if this had been released 20 years ago it would have been a huge hit and may now be recognised as a a classic. However some of the other tracks are up there as well, the very 80's sounding opener Hunny Bunny,  Saying I love you and Jamie Marie with its beautiful, simple and understated guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment