Wednesday 7 October 2015

Favourites : Lou Ford


When I started this blog I said that one of my objectives was to cast light on bands and albums that I did not think got the recognition they deserved.  That means many of my posts are about bands that people say "who?" to.

Lou Ford shone brightly for two excellent albums and then all but disappeared.

Pity - especially when bands like Mumford and Sons can come along and play watered down versions of what others do and get all the recognition (and all the money).


I first came across the band Lou Ford on an Uncut sampler CD.  I then tracked down their first two CDs Sad But Familiar and Alan Freed's Radio and was blown away that such an unknown band could have produced such good albums and not been recognised.

The band hails from North Carolina and features brothers Chad and Allan Edwards on guitars and vocals.  They took their name from the book/movie The Killer Inside Me where Lou Ford was a sadistic sheriff.

The band has none of that feel to it playing a mix of country and rock but not quite country rock.

The brothers' harmonies are a distinct feature of the band and I really struggle to choose which of these two albums I prefer. It depends very much on the day.

However whether it is their tribute to the mighty Replacements on Replacement or the breakup songs of You Ain't Worth My Time and The Part of You.  However it is pretty hard to pick a bad song on these albums and you can check out What've I Got to DoSad But Familiar Storz Bar and
How Does it Feel  as well.

They broke up after these albums then reformed for another album and judging from youtube seem to still play the occasional show.  

No comments:

Post a Comment