Saturday 3 October 2015

Favourites : Slobberbone : Every Thing You Thought Was Right Was Wrong Today


Every Thing You Thought Was Right Was Wrong Today is one of my all time favourite albums. Luckily the whole family agree which means we play it often and LOUD.

I named my blog after Some New Town a song on this album.

The song describes a friend of the songwriter who is always searching for something better in Some New Town - which is a bit like my musical search.  No matter how many albums I have, how many I think are brilliant I am ALWAYS ready to hear something new, something better.

If it was not for that continual quest I would never have heard this brilliant album.  Sadly not enough people have heard this and one album later they broke up and have only reformed for the occasional concert since.

Everything You Thought Was Right Was Wrong Today was Slobberbone's third album.  The spirit of the album title is captured perfectly by the album photo with a small town about to be hit by a huge sandstorm.  

While hardcore fans say they prefer its predecessor Barrel Chested this is really their undeniable pinnacle. Apparently recorded after a year on the road it reveals a band at the top of their form.  They mix hard edged rock, country, electric and acoustic effortlessly throughout the album. Brent Best's songs are confessional, insightful, imaginative, frantic and fun. This is one of the few albums in my collection that I can honestly say there is not a bad track on.

From the opening moments of Meltdown, through the Ode to the Replacements Placemat Blues and on through to the final song Pinball Song  (with its tale of what sounds a really wild night) the pace does not let up.

Two songs stand out as particularly original Lumberlung and Gimme Back My Dog a funny sad breakup song where the guy has lost his dog to his ex.   It is a great example of how good dumb rock can be when done well.

I recommend you give this album a chance.



1 comment: