Friday 9 October 2015

Favourites : Tift Merritt : Tambourine

I had not listened to Tambourine in a while until the other day when I decided to put it on in the car and give it whirl again.  It had probably been at least 2-3 years since I last listened to it.


I decided to play it because I wanted to hear Laid a Highway  which was always my favourite song on the album.  However as we played the album  (twice) I was surprised at how well I knew the album after that time and realised that I must have played it more than I remembered.

This was Tift's second solo album - I had bought her first,Bramble Rose,  after it got a lot of press with Tift being promoted heavily as a next big thing.  It never happened of course.  But she has gone on to release a series of solid albums to usually pretty good reviews - if not great sales.

What I particularly liked about this album was the country soul feeling she brought to a trio of songs .
Your Love Made A U Turn  and Tambourine and the album closer Shadow in the Way.  While the rest of the album is good it is more formulaic which may explain why she has not achieved greater success.

I was interested to note that she played a show in Auckland earlier this year.  I would have gone if I had not been so far away!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment