Friday 16 October 2015

Journey Through The Past : Lyle Lovett - Pontiac

Pontiac was the first Lyle Lovett album I heard.

There was a cassette rolling around in a company car from memory.  It was before he became Mr Roberts and he got the attention that came with that.
Recorded in 1987 Lyle was part of the re-invigoration of country music that was occurring at the time.  However while artists like Steve Earle were bringing a rocky and earthy swagger back - Lyle was mixing Country with jazzy big band arrangements and a wry sense of humour.

I still have no idea what the opener If I had a Boat is about - it really seems to be just a nice piece of nonsense that means little other than some things are worth more to men than the love of a good woman (or man in Tonto's case).

If I had a boat 
I'd go out on the ocean
And if I had a pony 
I'd ride him on my boat
And we could all together 
Go Out on the Ocean
Me upon my pony on my boat

He has probably recorded better albums since this (I particularly enjoy Joshua Judges Ruth and The Road to Ensenada) but this really set his agenda and has some of most memorable songs including Give Back My Heart with its tale of how a one night stand tamed both the hunter and hunted

I walked on through the door and she just smiled
In a long Pony tail and a pretty white dress,
She said hi bull riders do it best
I said oh my god what's your name, my name's Lyle

Somehow I do not think thus is how he met Julia Roberts

Then we have the murder ballad of  LA County, and the big band arrangements of She's No Lady, M-O-N-E-Y and the title track Pontiac.  The latter a nice piece of poignant life observation.

Great album from a unique talent

No comments:

Post a Comment