Monday 28 April 2014

Obscure Favourites 1 : Til The Night is Gone : Tribute to Doc Pomus


My collection is full of records and CDs that no one I know has heard of but when I play them always get people asking who or what is that?  So this new series will highlight some of those albums.

I bought this album mainly because it had tracks by some of my favourite artists at the time (and still now).  Those involved included Dylan, Los Lobos, John Hiatt,The Band and Dr John.  I knew some of the songs but I did not really know anything about Doc Pomus.  So I started to read about him and was impressed by the range of songs he wrote.  He had Polio as a child but that did not stop him first becoming a blues singer (on crutches) and then later becoming a Brill Building songwriter in the 50's.

There are some great versions on the album but Shawn Colvin's Viva Las Vegas gained a lot of attention when it appeared on the closing credits of (maybe my all time favourite movie) The Big Lebowski.   Here is the full track listing

1. Lonely Avenue - Los Lobos
2. Boogie Woogie Country Girl - Bob Dylan
3. Viva Las Vegas - Shawn Colvin
4. A Mess Of Blues - John Hiatt
5. This Magic Moment - Lou Reed
6. Blinded By Love - B.B. King
7. Young Blood - The Band
8. There Must Be A Better World Somewhere - Irma Thomas
9. Turn Me Loose - Dion
10. I Count The Tears - Roseanne Cash
11. I'm On A Roll - Dr. John
12. Still In Love - Solomon Burke
13. Sweets For My Sweet - Brian Wilson
14. Save The Last Dance For Me - Aaron Neville

The Dr John song made me realisd that an old Dr John album I had , City Lights, was in fact a collaboration with Doc so  rekindled my interest in that and I also checked out a new singer's albums of Doc's songs Johnny Adams' The Real Me.

Both of those albums are well worth checking out.







No comments:

Post a Comment