Saturday 26 April 2014

Journey Through The Past 19 : Microdisney, The Clock Comes Down the Stairs

This album one of my favourite covers.  I bought it solely because of the cover sometime in the 1980s.  It was on sale.  I knew nothing about the band at all and pieced together what I know following it.  My LP is in storage in Christchurch and I have been trying to get a copy of it on CD for sometime.  However I never wanted to pay the money the CD was fetching on eBay.  And then this year it was re-released so I got a copy from Amazon UK - and their debut which I had never heard.

So in the last week I plugged the CD in the car and have been listening to it on repeat.  It's not as good as I remember having a dated 80's feel to it BUT there are some outstanding tracks - in particular AND, Goodbye it's 1987, Horses Overboard and Genius

Microdisney was a group of politicised Irishmen in London writing and performing extremely caustic songs with lush arrangements so you could find yourself  humming along to very nasty lyrics.  Part of the attraction. 





I have about four of their albums but this one and Crooked Mile are my favourites.  

The band eventually imploded and the lead singer formed a new band Fatima Mansions where he abandoned all pretense at nice arrangements and went for all out aggression.  They opened for U2 on a european tour and apparently completely alienated the U2 audience who would have preferred their politics less intense.  I think their Viva Dead Ponies is magnificent with Blues For Ceausescu being an highlight with the chant of Die/Fuck Ceausescu stating things pretty plainly.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment