Thursday 3 April 2014

Journey Through The Past 5: Don McLean American Pie

The song was everywhere in 1971.  My first recollection of hearing it was when we were on holiday in Rotorua and even though I was only 10 the fascination with the lyrics and their meaning was real and consuming.  At that age even the obvious connections were not obvious and it was all very clever and mysterious.

We had the single - but that missed the more intriguing versus

Eventually I picked up the album and enjoyed most of it but Vincent, Winter Wood and Empty Chairs and the picks

For the record, and to start the arguments all over again, my take on some of the references;
The Jester is Dylan
Helter Skelter etc - Charles Manson
The players playing for a forward pass ; The Band rising while Dylan watched in his cast after breaking his leg
The marching band is the beatles
the following Stanza is about Altamont and the Hells Angel murder while Jagger sang
The girl who sang the blues is Janice

Oh, and as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage
No angel born in Hell
Could break that Satan's spell

I am not sure whether The Father, Son and Holy Ghost are literal or references to more dead stars - if the latter then Morrison, Otis and Hendrix would be the obvious candidates

Let the arguments begin!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment