Monday 14 April 2014

Journey Through The Past 12 : Rod Stewart : Every Picture Tells A Story

Every Picture Tells A Story is the only proper Rod Stewart album I own.  I do not think I will buy any more as I also have the excellent Storyteller 4cd/7lp set in both formats (both bought for incredibly cheap prices). I was always an admirer rather than a fan, thought he was an occasional exceptional writer, a superb interpretive singer but not someone that quite did it for me.

I first heard him singing Maggie May on 20 Solid Gold Hits Vol 1 probably the only song on that album still worth a spin or 3 minutes of your time.  At school Atlantic Crossing (now I know it was recorded in Muscle Shoals I should probably give it another go) and Tonight's the Night were ubiquitous and that may have been part of the reason I resisted.  Eventually I relented and got this record.



A terrific collection of both original and cover songs played more or less by The Faces at a time when he could not make up his mind whether he was a solo artist or a Face.

Along with Maggie May you get Tomorrow is Long Time, Mandolin Wind and perhaps the definitive version of Tim Hardin's Reason To Believe reviving an almost forgotten song.  Stewart became excellent at picking out forgotten or overlooked gems of songs and repeated the feat a few times notably with Danny Whitten's I don't want to talk about it, Cat Stevens' The First Cut is The Deepest and years later even covering The Faces own Ooh La La.


No comments:

Post a Comment