Friday 18 April 2014

Journey through the past 16 : Dumb Rock is not always Dumb Music : Slade

Sure they could not spell.  Sure their music was dumb but it has lasted well and been covered many times.  In my third and fourth form years they were frequently on the charts with loud dumb songs.  Cum on Feel the Noize, Skweeze me Pleeze me and Mama Weer all Crazee Now.

While their songs titles sounded dumb  I am reminded of the Mark Twain quote  “I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.” as I believe it takes skill and care to write good dumb songs.

At the same time they were good musicians playing it down and they even had a violin solo on Coz I Luv U!

I bought Sladest a greatest hits package in December 1973 - it's in storage now and I remember it as being absurdly thin - a result of the oil crisis - and more like a wobble board than a record. A few years ago I bought the updated greatest hits on CD - it had tracks released after 1973 including Merry Xmas Everybody. Apparently they earn 500K pounds each year from the royalties.

I do remember playing them load on my first stereo and it mattered not one iota - playing them now at that volume does not work so well on my new stereo which has been tuned and paired to really show off acoustic music.

Also I always felt a certain kinship with them as they were from Wolverhampton my Dad's hometown.


No comments:

Post a Comment