Saturday 5 April 2014

I don't know much about Jazz but I do like ..................... Ella in Berlin

I do not have this version listed on Amazon but a rather worn copy of the original (and well worn) single vinyl record.  It once belonged to Jan's father and despite the static damage it still sounds better than some more modern recordings.


I pulled it out and played it again after Peter Royle asked if I knew the version of Mack the Knife where she improvised heavily.  And here it is in all its glory in it she name checks Louis Armstrong and Bobby Darin's versions of the same songs (I think Darin's is the definitive) version.

Peter if you think she ad libs on that the closing track How High The Moon is more impressive in terms of both scat and improvisation as she blends about four songs into one!


No comments:

Post a Comment