Sunday 13 April 2014

My Long Journey into Sound 2 : My First Stereo 1975 to 1980

Until Christmas 1975 the radiogram had become almost my own personal Jukebox. However as I bought more and more records its clunky mechanisms, heavy tonearm and old needles were doing more and more damage to my new records.  This got particularly bad as the oil shock hit and records became thinner and thinner.  So I made my case to Mum that we needed an upgrade to the music system.  I must have done a pretty good job as I got my own system for Christmas 1974.


Dad had tracked down a second hand stereo separates system for what I was told was $100 at the time.  At the time I think it was the most expensive gift any of us had received.  I was rapt and remain forever thankful as that was a huge investment at the time.  

However it quickly became apparent that the new machine was incompatible with a family of the six who were then still living in a 1100 sq ft 3 bedroom house.

I soon persuaded Mum and Dad to let me set it up in the family caravan which was was parked adjacent to the house with an extension cord poking through from the laundry window.  By that stage the caravan was not being used as much as it had been.  The practicalities of the six of us fitting into seemed to limit its use to being the extra bedroom when my Grandmother came to stay.

So there I was out of the house and free to play as much air guitar as I wanted!


No comments:

Post a Comment