Tuesday 1 April 2014

Journey Through the Past 4 : Straight up : Badfinger

To many people Badfinger were what they wanted The Beatles to be if they had not broken up.  Signed to The Beatles' Apple label and their first hit, Come and Get It was even written by Paul McCartney (check out The Beatles' version on The Anthology Vol 3). They had other strong songs and hits (No Matter What) before making this, what I consider their best album.
Badfinger : Straight Up 

I first recognised them as a band when the two singles from this album (Day After Day and Baby Blue - note Kenny Rogers introducing them on this clip on what must have been that old Kenny Rogers and the First Edition show) were featured on the ubiquitous 20 Solid Gold Hits (I think volumes 2 and 3) that every home in New Zealand seemed to own.

I remember at the time thinking that those songs were better than anything else on the hits collections. I was even more intrigued when it became known that the same guys wrote Harry Nilsson's Without You. I have to admit that when I finally heard Badfinger's original version I realised the vision that Harry and producer Richard Perry must have had as the original does not shine.

Anyway this is my go to Badfinger Album. The two great singles and a strong set of other songs. Among the guest players on the album were George Harrison and Leon Russell.  The album had a difficult genesis with three producers, Geoff Emerick (who later produced Split Enz's True Colours), George Harrison and finally Todd Rundgren.

Sadly Badfinger were plagued with bad luck and the two lead members committed suicide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment