Wednesday 2 April 2014

I Don't Know Much About Jazz but I like...... Ella's George Gershwin's Songbook

I have got quite a few Ella CDs and records but this was the first and so therefore the sentimental favourite. Recorded in 1959 by Norman Grantz with Nelson Riddle, jazz purists would not call it jazz but popular music.  Anyway it is in my Jazz section!

I have a cds or records of all her Songwriter series (Gershwin, Rogers and Hammerstein and Cole Porter) but another reason I prefer this is that I think the songs themselves are more consistently excellent.

Oustanding!!!  

2 comments:

  1. We are quite hooked on the Col Porter song book interpretations. Our dear friend in London copied it for us and we wore out several cassettes of it on our travels in the UK in the mid 80's. Eventually bought the double LP ourselves, and still revisit it .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is a great album. I have both the double cd and double lp versions. Will pull it out and play it tomorrow

      Delete