Sunday 20 April 2014

Listening to this and looking forward to his latest

Jan and I have been listening to Ray La Montagne since his debut Trouble 10 years ago in 2004.  I picked that one up at Borders in Palo Alto as it was playing in store and featured in the recommended section.  I was on a two week course at Stanford at the time two weeks of hard work and hard partying.  

Have since picked up all his releases which have all been worthwhile. This is great document of his work up to 2011.  He certainly looks like he would have fit in with The Band in 1969 or on the goldfields 120 years earlier.

About two weeks ago I read some advance publicity for his new lp Supernova. It is produced by Dan Auerbach from the Black Keys who did a great job with Dr John's latest so I have high hopes.  God Willin' and the Creek Don't Rise  out of the rack and play it again and remind myself why I liked it so much. It released in 2010 and immediately became my favourite of his four releases at the time.  To me it was both a bit funkier and a bit more country at the same time.  Repo Man was an immediate favourite as was the title track and New York City's Killing Me.


It really does not matter too much where you jump into his catalogue.  They are all good.

Now looking forward to the arrival of the new one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment