Saturday 12 April 2014

Journey Through the Past 10 : Machine Head : Deep Purple


I was never really a big heavy metal fan - but the occasional album or song struck a chord.  That was the way it was with Machine Head. I bought the Smoke on the Water single when it came out but relied on listening to borrowed copies until I bought it on CD years later.  When flatting in 1979 we of course had Scho with us was a heavy metal and in particular Deep Purple obsessive.

I recall one night somewhere in Hanoi, stumbling into a bar late at night to hear a Filipino Band play a note perfect version of  Highway Star - they did such a good job they encored it three times. On we went to a Karaoke Bar where we attempted to repeat the same!

My introduction to Deep Purple was when I was 11 and I had a copy of 20 Explosive Hits of 71 and Black Night was definitely my favourite track.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment