Sunday 13 April 2014

Journey Through The Past 11 : Joe Cocker : I Can Stand A Little Rain


Terry gave me I Can Stand A Little Rain for my 14th Birthday.  It remains a favourite album and definitely MY favourite Joe Cocker album apart from greatest hits collections.

A great selection of songs (the only bum note being Joe's own shot at writing).  It also introduced me to songwriters like Allen Toussaint, Jimmy Webb and Randy Newman (although I later found out I did in fact already know many of their songs). While You are So Beautiful got overplayed,  played again after some years it regains its original simple attraction.  However the highlights for me include
Harry Nilsson's Don't Forget me
Randy Newman's Guilty
Allen Toussaint's Performance and
Jimmy Webb's The Moon's a harsh mistress (although I think Glen Campbell's version may be even better)

So if I did not say thank you sufficiently at the time Terry - thanks for this great album.

No comments:

Post a Comment