Monday 21 April 2014

Journey Through The Past 18 : Little Feat

Doctor Rock on Radio Pictures loved Little Feat almost as much as he loved The Rolling Stones and continued to push them at a time when Punk and New Wave were more popular.  He managed to do this while still maintaining his street credibility.  I was more into the UK new wave stuff at the time and so at the time most of their stuff past me by. So I was a late comer to really appreciating their music.

But I still remember watching the excellent Long Distance Love Clip in 1979 (doesn't Lowell George look mischievous).  I think it was on one of our TV watching raids on Rock Hall.


Little Feat were the like a cooler and funkier version of The Doobie Brothers (particularly after the Doobies whimped out mid career).  They produced a few great albums including Dixie Chicken, Sailin Shoes and Feats Don't Fail me Now.



However in 1978 they produced one of the best live albums of all time.   Waiting for Columbus really showed off their ability to conjure up New Orlean's funk - helped in no small part by being augmented by the Tower of Power horn section.   This is the album I would recommend to anyone to start with - and is one of my all time favourite albums. The sound of a band playing together and off each other.

Hard to think that it was all about to fall apart as Lowell George, frustrated with an increasing jazzy approach would leave to make music on his own and die soon after of a heart attack.  I was one of the few that liked his solo album - so much I will write about that later!

While Little Feat continue  to play together till now - they were never really the same after Lowell George left as they lost both their main songwriter, singer and guitarist

Someone told me that one of the members (Paul Barrere?) now lives in Tauranga when not touring.


No comments:

Post a Comment